Thursday, March 13, 2008


Michael Holm`s 1959 Ganesha High school, Pomona, Calif. graduation photo

The Holm Family..A family of Swedish decent who were our next door neighbors on Alvarardo Street in Pomona, Calif...from left to right, in rear: the grandmother, Mrs. Holm and then Mr. Holm..In front: Chris, Erik and Mike...Photo taken around 1953...A few years later they had a baby girl named Karla...Both Mike and Erik have recently passed on...We moved from 404 W. Alvarado to 671 Elaine Street in Pomona in April, 1957, on the other side of town when I was still in junior high school in the ninth grade..
I found the following forum for Ganesha High School in Pomona on the internet where Mike Holm`s younger sister graduated in 1973, and she seems to be quite popular in this particular forum, but anyway, she posted the following about the passing of her brother Mike Holm whom I also knew as my next door neighbor in Pomona, as follows:
Michael L. Holm, Class of '59, 1940-2005
If you can believe this, I am actually going to be brief(er). I wanted to let anyone that may be interested know that my brother Mike died yesterday. He had been hospitalized since late last week in Pasadena. He had emphysema. He could breathe in but was having trouble breathing out. He had been hospitalized with lung problems a few times over the last few years and always got better so I think we all didn't take it as seriously.

My middle brother Erik just had the lower lobe of one of his lungs removed due to cancer on Monday (12/5/05) so when my mom called me, I thought the news was regarding him. I never thought it could be about Michael. I am not sure what he died of as of yet (heart attack, stroke, congestive heart failure), but I will post it when I find out.

Michael's last 35 years were very lonely ones. I think he was ready to pass on and had come to terms with it quite a few years ago. So those of us that loved him know he is in a better place and that there is now an end to his suffering, but it still is sad for those of us left behind.



...Tom Hatten with Popeye on KTLA television in the 1950`s

No comments: